The Berlin was built by A. G. Weser Shipbuilders, Bremen, Germany, 1909. 17323 gross tons; 613 (bp) feet long; 69 feet wide. Steam quadruple expansion engines, twin screw. Service speed 16 knots. 3212 passengers ( 266 first class, 246 second class, 2700 third class ).
Built for North German Lloyd, German flag, in 1909 and named Berlin. Bremerhaven-New York and Mediterranean-New York service. Served with the German Navy as an auxiliary cruiser, 1914-18. Seized by Additional Arrivals, in 1919. Taken by the British and used as a troopship. Sold to White Star and Dominion Lines, in 1926 and renamed Arabic. trans-Atlantic service. Chartered by Red Star Line, British flag, in 1930. White Star service. It was broken up in Italy in 1931.